Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Andrew is getting defiant

"Andrew, put your shoes on, it's time to go to school" "no, I will throw you in the fire!" "Andrewww, come here" "No, time out for you mami, the police throws you in jail"... my sweet teddy bear is getting some autonomy, which is great, you'll tell me, I want Andrew to be autonomous, however, it is NOT an easy stage to go through...
The problem is that, I am not the only "fortunate" one to be sent to the fire, so is his teacher, his classmates and the cashier at the supermarket who dares to ring the cheese he insisted on holding for 2 minutes... Andrew needs to learn how to use his voice and tone of voice in an acceptable social manner. He cannot send everyone to the fire... His shadows and teachers at the preschool are working hard with him. Another issue he has is that he does not respond to punishment. A time out, or taking away privileges do not mean much to him, so how do you discipline him?
Last time when I picked him up from therapy, he ran all excited and with a big smile towards me telling me "mami, mami, I sat on the naughty chair today!" ... so much for the naughty chair...
as with everything else we have been struggling with, I know that we will find an answer and a solution, however, in the meanwhile, I am spending way too much time in the fire, in the jail, in time out and even in the toilet!

No comments:

Post a Comment